Wednesday, January 30, 2013

All you have to do is keep trying

I listened to this video by an acting teacher named Tony Meindl out here.  He talked about reaching your plateu and then having a pop.  He was talking about a learning curve and how it is essential to the process.  He said sometimes a plateu can last a long ass time.  He talked about being confused, or a student being confused.  Then he asked that student how is that helping you, being confused.  And the student realized that being confused was not serving him.  So this sort of makes sense to me, why would you claim to be confused if you dont have to.  That sort of just puts you in a haze that you dont have to be in.  You dont have to get stuck in a haze, that is a choice, because there are plateus and there are learning curves and all that stuff is essential to the process.  Its not about who is making it and who is not.  Off to the next thing.  He also talked about living in the past and living in the future.  Ill make this simple, basically he said the cliche thing that you need to live in the now.  I get that too.  You cant wait and be anxious about your future and you cant dwell on your past.  Neither of those things favor you.  So anyway Im going to be on a set tomorrow and make a little bit of money and then get back to the grind.  There is no need to really worry about anything.  Man this was just a video night for me.  I have had some thoughts about SNL lately because why not.  Something funny happened I watched SNL for the first time in a couple weeks, and it brought back memories of when some of my college friends came out and visited last year.  They mentioned to me that they thought that I would be great on SNL, a few people have told me that over the course of my life.  Anyway I got a text from one of those guys at 5 in the morning the next day which said. "Hey Eric, just walked by the SNL studio last night and thought of you, hope all is well."  Im not saying thats a sign.  But I think these things happen because we are all suppose to allow ourselves to believe in things, and allow ourselves to lift on onto a higher level, into the now I guess.  So I guess what I am thinkinng and hopefully have learned is you dont have to wait for anyone to give you permission to do what you want to do.  That means no waiting for an agent, no waiting for a manager, no waiting for anyone.  Continue swimming, work your way up that learning curve, be dedicated to your craft, and live in the present moment.  I might keep blogging on this blog, but I will come back to this blog once I feel like I have committed more fully to my craft.  Anyway that video I watched on a girl in Chicago that got to audition twice for SNL was cool.  She lives in Chicago and said its less about the biz or industry then it is in L.A.  So in Chicago, what she did, was work a day job, and go to classes and perform improv at night until she received a paying improv job.  This is kind of just yammer, but when I started improv out here I kind of sensed that I was going the Chicago route if there is such a thing, I was kind of approaching L.A. like it was Chicago, that might make not sense, and it actually might make no sense, but thats kind of how I felt.  I felt like I was in Chicago, haha.  I think out here you do have to be more in touch with the actual business and industry aspects, but I will find that out as I go, that is my take on it for now.  I recently auditioned for the movie How to Catch a Monster via Video audition.  I havent heard anything back and I probably should just let it go.  But I am considering trying to film myself one more time doing something more raw and real and hopefully interesting before the deadline.  I guess I realize that the actors that have made it have kind of done whatever it takes to get there.  Which means paying the bills, being dedicated to your craft, and not waiting for things to come.  They lived in the now, they didnt worry about where things were going to come from and I think thats a incredibly challengeing thing to do.  But it is a incredibly challenging field so it makes sense that it would be like that.  Oh man, this has been a pretty long blog haha, talk soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment