Saturday, January 16, 2010

80-78, but they cheated at the end!

Terrell had the ball at the top of the key. He tapped both sides of his head to call a play. He passed it to the wing to Percy. Percy drove to the hole and dished it to Damian on the corner. Damian drove towards the hoop and attempted to make a layup. This is where I stepped in and swatted Damian and told him to get out of my house, Damian told me the next time he came to the hole that he was going to windmill dunk on me. I went to Harlem today to play games at Mosaic elementary school, with 3rd through 5th graders. We played soccer, basketball and kickball. These kids had crazy energy, and I am pretty confident they could beat my high school basketball team, wow they had game! I was the star for the adult team, after the game Percy asked me if I played basketball and he wondered how I made all my shots. I said “I was a football player, and that most of the shots I was making were layups and that I wasn’t that good of a shot” he said “that’s true.” My favorite part of the day was playing with Jacob who came with his Dad who helped run the program and he was in pre kindergarten. We passed his truck back in forth making crazy car sounds, he said “your good at this game!” we both tried to fit inside of the toy car but we couldn’t. These kids inspired me and brought out passion and energy in me we should all have. I never want to forget Frankie who helped me with my jump shot, Jacob who ran around trying to be one of the guys and put a smile on everyone’s face who saw him even if for only a glimpse, Damian who asked me if I was ready for another butt whooping, Terrell who was the most skilled point guard I have seen at his age, Abba showing joy in his smile the whole time, the basketball coach telling me I played ball like a New Yorker, the kids tackling me in a collective effort to keep me from scoring at the end of the game and losing a heart breaker 80-78. This is one of the best days I’ve ever had, kids are Awesome! Goodnight blog!

1 comment:

  1. I am waiting for the theatre translation of this post, not that I do not understand the sport jargon, I just want to hear you translate it for you thespian friends.

    ReplyDelete