Saturday, January 23, 2010

Slowing Down


Mariah and I went to Brooklyn today and played volleyball with elementary kids. Of course it was a great time and I think the kids and adults have improved volleyball skills. I thought it was interesting to hear that one of the kids, Alfonso who is in fifth grade actually hounded the teachers and head organizers of the school about starting a weekend program for the kids until it became a reality. I also went down to Battery Park today. In the middle of the park there was a piece of art that at first glance looked like a broken apple, but it was a sculptor that stood in the plaza of the World Trade Center Entitled “The Sphere”, it was conceived by artist Fritz Koenig as a symbol of world peace. It was damaged during the tragic events of September 11, 2001, but endures as an icon of hope and indestructible spirit of this country. Today my research consisted of finding out that the Jets coaches get together and smoke Cuban cigars and discuss defense. In the defensive meeting room, their first rule is that players must have skin like an armadillo, and even though armadillos have shells, not skin, they constantly make this point clear. Players even get fined for being too sensitive. They should make an armadillo with a cigar in his mouth the new mascot. This city is jacked about the Jets right now, even the Giants fans are claiming to be Jet fans. Kim suggested that we all go see a show called Too Much Light Makes The Baby Go Blind. Coming to the realization that Kim always suggests great shows I said yes. This group we saw was called NY NEO-FUTURISTS. It had a great variety of skits, 30 of them, and the audience picked which one they did by yelling what number we wanted every time the word curtain was said, and the goal was to perform all of them within 60 minutes. It was 11 bucks to go to this show and it was flipping awesome. Not only that but we were allowed to come right up on the stage afterwards and interact with the actors, and got free pizza! Wooo! I also got a wrinkled up paper because I am a big lebowski fan (don’t ask why). My favorite part was a monologue one guy did about being here, and performing tonight with the hope of making some kind of connection. I feel like what these people are doing is important and hope I get to see another performance one more time before I leave.
When you tell someone in New York City that you are from South Dakota they become interested. One of the questions they ask is, so you think you are going to move out here after college? So here are my thoughts about this question
We talk at USF how theatre is supposed to be a thing that changes you. Being here has really heightened my awareness to things I didn’t really put much thought to before, and I appreciate all the opportunities I have had up here. I am also realizing more fully that the beauty of being aware is that it can lead to actual change. I enjoy Sioux Falls, and I enjoy New York. I don’t have a preference of one over the other; I really enjoy different aspects of both places. The feel of New York is a lot different than Sioux Falls; both places have something to learn from each other. The benefit of having lived in both places is experience, with this experience you will be able to relate better with both places. For example, I finally feel like I have a little better grip on what Kim is talking about in home when she speaks of theatre translating to change. So to answer the question, I don’t know if I will move out here, maybe. I am not planning on it, and I’m not worried about where I live. The traveling is too help me broaden my horizons to the world’s style and condition so that I can be the best Eric I can be wherever I live. Go Jets! Go Vikes! My predictions won’t make much sense to any. I am going to go with the J-e-t-s pounding the Colts, and the Vikings barely beat the Saints! Crazy I know. Goodnight blog!

1 comment:

  1. Eric, you have no idea how important this blog entry is to me. You have managed to communicate so much of what I love about this city and my city.

    Playwright Terrence McNalley (read everything he has written as it will challenge every sensibility you have) once told me, "Kim, do are where you are." I have tried to be this artist. However, I need to visit the cultural well to wet my artist vision and my service soul. Like you, I appreciate and love both places as they make me who I am.

    ReplyDelete