Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Damn we only joking stay broke then

Today I woke up and headed to the famous Rucker Park. It was a work out I did a lot of walking in Harlem. The court is named after Harlem teacher Holcombe L. Rucker, who started a basketball tournament in 1950 at the court in order to help less fortunate kids stay off the streets and do well in school. Some great players have developed their skills at Rucker Park like Allen Iverson, Wilt Chamberlain, Julius Erving, Pee Wee Kirkland, Jamal Mashburn, and Malik Sealy. I know Kobe has played there before, he is lucky he wasn't there or i would have dominated him. After this we got to see our friends we handed sandwiches to at Broadway Church of Christ. This is something I'm glad that I was part of. It's inspiring and something that I can bring home to my own community in some way. After this I sprinted to 46th street in Times Square to meet Jon where he was waiting for me so we could both enter the lottery to try and get two tickets for the show in the heights. Jon was the winner of the lottery this time and we received two cheap tickets. I don’t really know how to explain the play; I just know that it won my heart. My favorite scenes were 96,000 and the Dance Club scene. My favorite actor was Robin De Jesus who played Sonny. He was hilarious, and also almost brought me to tears for the first time during a show up here and has inspired me to take a dancing class. After the play I got to talk with one of my favorite actors from the Disney channel Corbin Bleu, who played Usnavi the same character I played at school. He was almost more excited to meet me then I was him. He took pictures and autographs with us, he was genuinely interested in getting to know you, and took his time with each person. He thought it was hilarious that I told him we looked a lot alike when I shaved and had a huge afro. The whole cast was like this, I won’t forget their kindness, and appreciation for their fans. This night really made my trip; it was fun to see the whole production of something that I had been a part of at school. I could feel the power of the show from Sioux Falls, and finally got to experience it tonight. I believe that theatre can change the world. I believe In the Heights is changing the world.
Strength Monologue
Can I have your attention for a moment please? I am sorry if I’m bothering anyone. I’m sorry if I am making anyone feel uncomfortable or disturbing anyone. I’m asking if anyone has some extra money to spare, a $1, a quarter, a penny. That is if you feel comfortable enough and can afford or want to give. I’m trying to make a good impression. I don’t want you to think that I’m taking advantage of you. I’m sorry, but I’m nervous, I’m trying to make a good impression so I can earn your time, so I can earn your money.

No comments:

Post a Comment