Monday, January 25, 2010

West Village livin

We went to a fountain house today which is a place that helps people with dissabilities. It was founded by Jon Beard and the program started in 1948. His belief was that the best way to help improve people with dissabilities lives was to have them work. We got a tour from Ben who has been in the program for a long time. He was an excellent tour guide and is doing well enough were he can live on his own and handle his own money. Most of the people that work their have some type of dissability. Suzie the director said that her favorit part of the job was seeing the members lives improve. Some people in the program weren't able to take care of themselves at all, and now they have decided to get a paying job and live in an apartment on their own. We ate Cuban food in Soho. I had perhaps the most delicious sandwhich of my life. We also had some corn with parmesian cheese and chili power, it was pretty good, but my aunt Anna could still top it. After this I tried to find my way back to the apartment and my way just happened to walk by one of the sites i had been meaning to see, so I walked the Williamsburg bridge today as well. Listening to the cars woosh and the wind surround my body was enough to make me happy. I think everyone I walked by was wearing an I pod. New York! New York! Goodnight blooooog

2 comments:

  1. The Williamsburg Bridge huh? Wow, you took a different turn on your way home. It was the perfect day to walk around the city. NYC - 60 SF, SD - minus something I am sure....we win.

    (also, I love your voice in your blogs Eric, but as your prof, I would encourage you to write in a microsoft doc first so you can spellcheck yourself :)

    ReplyDelete