Thursday, January 21, 2010

Experience



I watched some of Taylor Calmus short films today and Zach Galifianakis standup comedy. Ushered smudge and it definitely wasn’t as good as last time, I felt it lacked passion and they were trying to just get through it. I gave a homeless guy a couple of sandwiches, it felt good when I saw that he had a wife to share with, they were both very thankful and so was I. He was standing at this hotel all day opening the door for people holding a cup with a little change. I have really become overcome with sadness about the condition of the needy and homeless people I have seen up here. I see so many people that are asking for extra change. Some people sitting against walls at the subway that can’t even talk. While some of these people seem very helpless, some of them appear to be the happiest people I have ever met. I’m so lucky, and I am just trying to think of constructive ways I can help here and also when I come home. Perhaps I can help through the arts; I want to write something in a form of art pertaining to the needy and homeless. This experience has made me step back and think about how I use my time. I think in the search of meaning and purpose it’s important that we live out our passions, but I don’t think truth is found if we live out our passions just for ourselves. Here is a quote from one of my favorite movies Rushmore that has spoken to me tonight. "When one man, for whatever reason, has an opportunity to live an extrodinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself."

3 comments: