Thursday, January 21, 2010

Harlem


Yesterday I ventured to Harlem. My original plan was to walk to Fredrick Douglas Circle. On my way I ran into a statue of Duke Ellington. It says he was orchestra leader, Pianist and Composer. The statue was dedicated to the Duke Ellington memorial Fund and thousands of Ellington fans around the world. The statue had Ellington standing on his Piano. I found that Ellington began taking piano lessons from Marietta Clinkscales Daisy. Ellington grew up surrounded by dignified women to make sure he had good manners and was taught to live elegantly. Ellington’s friends all noticed "his casual, offhand manner, his easy grace, and his dapper dress gave him the bearing of a young nobleman”, he gave credit to his buddy Edgar McEntree for being called the duke, and Ellington said “I think he felt that in order for me to be eligible for his constant companionship, I should have a title. So he called me Duke.” Ellington lived in Harlem for awhile trying to make it in the big time. He was very instrumental in the Harlem Renaissance and new dance crazes like the Charleston. The Charleston looks awesome I should learn it! Him and some other musicians hustled pool by day and played whatever gig they could find. After this I thought I was on my way to Fredrick Douglas circle but was mesmerized Duke Ellington Circle where I stayed for about two hours. I saw a man sitting on a bench with a book and looking out at the lake in the middle of the park. He could have done this a million times for all I know, but he was staring at the beauty of the lake like it was his first. I really enjoy what I have seen of Harlem, their school has good programs for kids, and their parks are beautiful. I also went to queens and played with first and second graders. What a great time, these kids loved the game eye spy. From this experience I learned that it is no easy task keeping 50 little kids under control, you have to be fun, but you have to find a way to mean business or it gets insanely crazy. I had a good conversation with a friend and fellow actor Taylor Calmus, he gave me some much needed advice, he told me to learn all that you I can in college especially in my acting class because It will really help me down the road if I take it seriously. He also told me directors are looking for someone that has the passion and focus to make something great. We started talking about our acting careers, mine at USF and his in California. It was fun to hear that he was a double for someone and had a line delivered to him from Jennifer Love Hewitt and that he has been doing some stunt work, I was always really honored to work with him, he was very focused but always brought a sense of energy and fun to the theatre department. I was productive and got my first scene of lines memorized for Warn.

1 comment:

  1. Your ability to fill every moment productively is worthy of a standing ovation. So, have you downloaded some Duke Ellington from Itunes? You totally should.

    As far as Taylor Calmus is concerned, get in line. I am the president of the TAY fan club!

    ReplyDelete