Monday, January 11, 2010

War...huh!




Kim hooked Haley and I up with an internship with the culture project today! Research was the agenda. The most interesting thing I came upon was a nobel peace prize speech given by Harold Pinter. He is a writer, and it was a speech against primarily the U.S war tactics, writing plays is also incorporated into his speech to demonstrate self, and our role in the world. He talked about writing plays and says he honestly isnt quite sure how he comes up with them. He says it comes out of the blue really. For one of his plays the homecoming, he thought of a line which was what have you done with the scissors. He knew the person that this line was said to didnt give a damn about the scissors. He saw differently lightings and different kinds of rooms. He didnt even know his characters names until the story continued. At one moment he thought that one person was a father and the other a son, but he had no proof really until they indicated it verbally, and once that happened he decided it was reasonable to assume that they were father and son. He doesnt even know the characters or what they will do. This was really interesting for me to stumble upon, because i have been writing scenes to film. I have been planning alot and drawing from alot of my own experiences, some made up, but some have really happened. It was really enlightening to read about how the characters in his story really have no existence until they come about in his play. I feel that writing about more than you know, and expanding thoughts to unfamiliar places and letting your imagination guide can lead you to important questions.
When Haley and i headed back and talked about all the different foods we loved, ethiopian, chinease, cuban, thai. We made it the whole way home without giving into a shop and came back to the fridge. I came in the house and made French Toast with peanut butter and it was unbelievable, some of the best i have ever made. There is still some batter left for the early morning to come.
After this we went with Kim to our New York cares orientation. It is exciting to know we get to work and help out with this organization, tomorrow Jon and I will be ushering at the show smudge. Jon spent 17 bucks at Mcdonalds, wow! I went down to the deli near by and talked with my cashier buddy Eddie. He told me China town is were its at. I found out that Eddie is married and he works part time four times a week at this deli. He also works at a great breakfast place, he made food for awhile but business has went down and he mostly works outside bringing food in from truck shipments. He told me once business goes up he will give me a free meal down there!
I did some line memorization tonight for the play warn that I will be in when we get back to school. My goal is to get done with that and start doing character work.
New York!New York!
Goodnight fellow humans.

No comments:

Post a Comment