Thursday, January 28, 2010

Greenwhich Village College Group

Today I headed to Harlem again. I was on my way to Fredrick Douglas Circle and got sidetracked again. I saw a sign that led to the Hudson River. So I enjoyed the beautiful view from Riverside Park which was a site in itself. A nice lady named Eileen took pictures for me. She said that South Dakota was a great place. We were both so excited to be enjoying the beautiful snowy site at the park. I was very intrigued when I saw two people at the park with fishing poles, string, and hoops lying on the ground. I asked them what they were doing. They were practicing fly fishing and said they had been fishing all their lives, mainly in the ocean. I read that it isn’t really a big deal to know how to fly cast well. While good casters do catch more fish bad casters still catch some. Learning how to fly cast well is something that gives fisherman enjoyment and satisfaction in a job well done. After this I took the subway home, but this time when I got off the S shuttle there was a music group called Spank playing some old time favorites. There is usually someone playing their everyday but I could not ignore them and neither could anyone else there was a huge crowd. When I was there they sang Duke of Earl, My Girl, and Rockin Robin. They sang a lot of great stuff I was there for about two hours and bought one of their CD’s. After this I found out from Taylor Calmus that he had made a gumball monologue based off of a short improve skit that I had been involved in while trying out for Darfur. He got a role in a Student Film when he used it for his tryout. I finally got to read the scene he wrote for it today and it was brilliant. I’m glad that what seemed to be a meaningless skit for fun traveled out to L.A. I read some of my classmates’ awesome blogs today and studied my lines for a couple hours. After this I went back to the church I attended Sunday for youth group. The kids at the bible studies names were Jon, Paul, James, Matthew, Peter and Jesus. Just kidding but there was a Jon, Paul, and James who I got to talk with a lot. We talked about Football, Basketball, our majors, computers, bacon, God, plays, and cooking. These guys were awesome and I wished I would have known them so we could have watched the Jets game together. We had an absolute blast we ate corn, meatballs, and mashed potatoes. We had an interesting bible study, and then chatted for awhile afterwards. I had a great connection with a girl named Laura who is going to school for dance. The school she is going to is pretty tough and the teachers are harsh, she is a senior and is excited to finish her last semester. I am the actor but she has seen a lot more shows than I have, but I have seen Wicked so she was way Jealous. She said some of the shows I should see are Frankenstein, Fiddler on the roof, The Sound of Music, and some Shakespeare show I wrote it down. We did dishes together for about an hour and decided that it was a lot more fun to clean other people’s houses. They invited me on a church ski trip over the weekend but unfortunately we are leaving, they told me to come back to their church and group the next time I am in the city. It felt great to sit down and make a good connection with some of the wonderful residents of New York.
I feel like this trip has taught me that when you can accept people’s differences and truly get to know them that the relationship can turn into something beautiful. I find by defeating this fear of everyone not being like you, life is a lot more enjoyable and extremely interesting at its core.
BACON MONOLGUE
Would you eat bacon raw? It’s so good. I was watching this show where a guy killed a pig and ate the bacon raw. It looked so cool so I thought to myself I have to try this. So I tried it, and it actually didn’t taste as good as I thought, but the thought of it was so cool that I just kept doing it anyway, and eventually I ended up loving it. What you gotta do at least the first time you eat it is put it in between two pieces of bread, because it doesn’t bite the same way as cooked bacon, it’s a lot more stringy. You gotta try it thought it’s seriously the best way to eat bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment