Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Banana pancakes? No! Banana cupcakes are better!



Fire trucks surrounded the neighborhood as Jon and I had stepped out the door to go to the New York Fire Museum. We saw the evolution of fire trucks, well, they eventually became trucks. It started by throwing water out of buckets to pumping the water out of a wagon like object. The truck model basically arrived in 1910 and even though it is very basic it is still pretty much the same set up as the fire truck today. Our tour guide said that as part of his training when he was a firefighter he had to run around the block with fire gear on and an axe around the block. I’m just imagining all the possible harm I could cause with my poor ability with any kind of tool. We saw pictures and debris from 9/11. 343 firefighters died that day, I came to tears instantly reading the letters people still come and leave to their loved ones at the museum. I’m very sad that people are capable of causing this type of pain to an entire city.

Chinese food was eaten by our group in Chinatown tonight, it was good, not as good as it is back home, but it was good. My legs are tired. I started writing a script about a person who is called blue man, and he likes Dr. Pepper. We played the card game speed tonight. I lost more than I won, Ann is pretty good. I was reading the Foreword to my book Sula again and it says, “I was living in Queens while I wrote Sula. Every rent payment was an event; every shopping trip a triumph of caution over the reckless purchase of a staple. The best news was that this was the condition of every single/separated female parent I knew. The things we traded! Time, food, money, clothes, laughter, memory-and daring.” This may not pertain to my situation at all, but right now I have 20 dollars a day spending limit to make my money last. My mind is filled with the homeless we see on the streets; the most obvious thing this city has taught me is that I am incredibly lucky to have the life I do. I’m hitting that wall now, Goodnight blog!

1 comment:

  1. You are learning so much...especially about yourself. Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete